The hurricane season begins

The 2024’s season, which spans from June 1 to November 30, has an 85% chance of an above-normal number of storms

14 June 2024 | by Redazione Daily Nautica
The hurricanes Idalia and Franklin (2023) – Credits NOAA

The NOAA’s National Hurricane Center has already started to issue watches for the development of tropical lows for Florida and the Gulf of Mexico, that could develop into hurricanes. The NHC issues watches, warnings and forecasts of the track, intensity, and size of tropical storms and hurricanes, both for the tropical Pacific and Atlantic areas.

To meet the hard mission of maintaining a year-round watch on tropical cyclones, the NHC is composed of several units. The Tropical Analysis and Forecast Branch generates analyses and forecasts over the Pacific and Atlantic basins. The Technology & Science Branch develops and maintains various data and model outputs, new tools and techniques for tropical cyclone prediction. The Storm Surge Unit forecasts the abnormal rise in sea level accompanying tropical cyclones and prepares evacuation procedures of coastal areas. The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron mission is to carry on all tropical cyclone reconnaissance, flying into the eye of the storm (the brave Hurricane Hunters).

Eye of Ian (2022) – Credits USAF

The NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center foresees an above-normal hurricane activity in the Atlantic basin this year, due to a confluence of factors, including near-record warm ocean temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean, development of La Nina conditions in the Pacific, reduced Atlantic trade winds, all of which tend to favor tropical storm formation.

The 2024’s season, which spans from June 1 to November 30, has an 85% chance of an above-normal number of storms, a 10% chance of a near-normal number and a 5% chance of a below-normal one. NOAA is forecasting a range of 17 to 25 total named storms. Of those, 8 to 13 are expected to become hurricanes, including 4 to 7 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5), with a 70% confidence in these ranges.

 

Alessandro Casarino – Navimeteo

Topics:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reader is personally responsible for the content of their comments. In no way do the ideas, opinions, or content added by readers in the comments to articles and news represent the opinions of the publisher, newsroom, staff or managing editor. Readers can not publish content that is libellous, slanderous, obscene, pornographic, abusive or in any way illicit and/or illegal, nor can they exhibit violent behaviour or verbally attack other readers. Notification of any slanderous, offensive, illicit and/or illegal content can be sent to the following e-maill: info@ligurianautica.com, specifying the comment including a direct link. The staff will verify the content and take any action necessary as soon as possible.

You might also be interested in

Environment

The weather is like a wave

  • 17 May 2024

At our latitudes the change of the weather is given by the wedging of low pressure areas between contiguous high pressure ridges, with vast exchanges of air masses comparable to the passage of a wave

Environment

An unstable beginning of May

  • 2 May 2024

At least for all the first half of May the weather on the Mediterranean will continue to have the classic features of the spring season: fast storms and unstable days with the first maritime thunderstorms

Environment

Spring is here

  • 19 April 2024

Spring is characterized by the strong contrasts between the first warm calls from Africa and the powerful northern wind outbreaks

© Copyright 2006 - 2022 Daily Nautica - A sea of news, every day.
Registration number 20/2011 under authorisation number 159/2011 of the Tribunale di Genova from 23 Sept. 2011 Editore Carmolab SAS – VAT Num. 01784640995 – Managing Editor: Alessandro Fossati
All content and images that are property of Liguria Nautica can be shared with the use of an active link indicating the source

Advertising | Authors | Privacy policy | Cookie Policy | Contacts

made by SUNDAY Comunicazione

Marchi FESR